Friday, January 21, 2011

Winter Wander to Crocus Bluff and Back

This afternoon it was only -26 and the snow was gently falling. I was in the mood to do some exploring, and wandered my way up past Jack London's cabin, onto the 9th Avenue trail, then onto the Crocus Bluff trail, and somehow ended up at the old cemeteries - one for RCMP, for Jewish people, for Masons...all fenced off in their own neat rectangles. Many graves with small picket fences containing the headstone and a tall evergreen (unfortunately my camera had run out of batteries by then, so those photos will have to wait for another day). It was a glorious walk. And -26 seems very comfortable indeed after -50!

I thought it was going to be a face-muffler kind of day, but I was happily incorrect.

Snow.




Trying to catch a few snowflakes.

Taking photos of yourself while doing so is challenging!

The snowy branches make beautiful and mysterious patterns.


Found some graffiti!


From the Gold Rush era?

I decided to take the Crocus Bluff trail, which heads uphill...



View from Crocus Bluff. On a clear day you would be able to see the mountain on the opposite side of the valley.



Hard to picture in the current weather...

My glasses with their etching of frost.

1 comment: