Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Graveyards

I have always been fond of graveyards. I walked up to the ones on the Dome Road today with my camera...but because they were all snowed in I had to content myself with snapping some shots from the side of the road. I would like to go up there sometime in the spring or summer, I am sure there are many stories waiting to be found.

Looking for colours other than blue, white and black...

Snow-tree arches over the trail.

Little fenced gravesites, which are possibly children's graves, according to the cemetery guide.

Masonic Graveyard

Here's where I learnt about all the different cemeteries on the hill. Maps below...

A propellor as a marker: a pilot's grave?

RCMP Cemetery.


All the headstones are uniform.

Jewish Cemetery (not sure what happens when there's a Jewish RCMP officer who's also a Mason...hmm)

You can see other graveyards behind this one. I need some snowshoes to explore properly.


I am not sure. Compost? Or is this a burial chamber of some sort?






Target practice on Dome Road


Looking down on Dawson


These pictures do not accurately display how much this church is tilting!


My favorite thing: the sled dog carrier with cut-out holes for the heads! I saw this a few weeks ago (full of dog faces with tongues out) when I went to the grocery store, and told Craig about it (more than once). Today on my way home through town I saw the truck again, and swiftly produced my camera, only to notice the owner coming toward me quickly from the liquor store in her custom blue-and-fur hat and blue-and-yellow coat that matched the truck! I quickly took a snap of the vehicle but was too chicken to take one of her too...which is too bad. On the back of the jacket was an applique of a husky. It was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment